Why you should never ride a motorbike wearing iPhone headphones

By |2016-12-22T19:42:50+00:00December 22nd, 2016|Categories: OFF BEAT NEWS|

AUSTRALIA, QUEENSLAND. DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTS: Why you should never ride a motorbike wearing iPhone headphones: Teen nearly decapitated after cord headphones sliced through his neck when he crashed into a fence

  • Bradley Willoughby, 16, crashed his motorbike on rural property in Queensland
  • He was practising jumps when he landed awkwardly and his throttle jammed
  • Motorbike careered into a barbed wire fence and seriously injured Bradley
  • His iPhone earphones wrapped around his neck and sliced through his skin
  • Was flown to Cairns Hospital and is now awaiting surgery for broken ankle 

A teenage boy was nearly decapitated after his iPhone earphones wrapped around his throat and sliced deeply into his skin during a horrific motorbike crash.

Bradley Willoughby, 16, was riding at his family’s Ravenshoe farm in far north Queensland when he landed a jump awkwardly and damaged the bike’s throttle.

The landing jammed the throttle and flung Bradley directly into a barbed wire fence – badly breaking and dislocating his ankle and slashing open his stomach.

But the worst damage was done to his neck, with deep lacerations etched just centimetres from his trachea after his earphones latched onto the fence.

Bradley’s father had to rip the earphones out from the cut inside his throat.

‘Bradley had his iPhone in his pocket and had his earphones in and as he’s gone through the fence, the fence has grabbed the earphones and, because they were up inside his helmet, the barbed wire pulled the earphones straight across his throat,’ Mrs Willoughby explained to the Cairns Post.

‘No one realises but inside the headphone cord is fine copper wire which has cut through some of the muscle. He is very lucky he didn’t cut his trachea.

‘None of us thought earphones could be so dangerous. His father pulled the earphones out from inside the cut in his throat.’

Mrs Willoughby said at first she thought that her son was dying.

Together with her husband she tried to keep Bradley calm as they waited for a Rescue 510 chopper to arrive and fly them to Cairns Hospital.

Bradley stayed awake throughout the entire ordeal and required stitches for the cuts to his neck.

Mrs Willoughby told Daily Mail Australia she never thought a pair of earphones could pose such a severe danger.

‘You think they’re just earphones, you can break them with your hands, cut them with a pair of scissors, you never think can do something like this,’ she said.

‘But under the right circumstances, with the right pressure they can.’

She said Bradley broke both his tibia and fibula in the accident, requiring two large screws and a plate six inches long to stabilise his bones.

He has also endured two surgeries since the crash, one on his neck performed on Monday night and one on his leg on Wednesday.

‘It’ll be months of recovery,’ Mrs Willoughby said.

While it was a tough week for her family, Mrs Willoughby said she wanted something positive to come from the experience.

She wanted others to be informed about the potential danger of earphones, so they did not have to learn the hard way, as her son did.

‘Do not wear wired earphones under a motorbike helmet, it’s potentially life threatening,’ she said.

Read more:
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook


About the Author:

Kendall Jennings, KAJX Communications photojournalist since 2002. KAJX: Kendall A. Jennings (Photojournalist), who is a big The X-Files fan (what the X stands for in KAJX) and motorcycling fan. “I am extremely passionate about motorcycles and have been riding a motorcycle since I was 4 years old. I was introduced to the world of motocross racing in 1998 and haven’t looked back. Everyone should experience motorcycling whether it be a rider, passenger, racer, official or spectator. KAJX is all about sharing the motorcycling love. I am honest, opinioned and if I don't know something I will say so and then educate myself to provide an answer. Living is learning. I worked as a Motorcycle Spare Parts Manager for 15 years, I am also a qualified Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic.” Kendall Jennings.
Optimization WordPress Plugins & Solutions by W3 EDGE